Homeless or at risk

Advice, help and prevention

Our main priority is to prevent you from becoming homeless. We provide appropriate advice and assistance to your circumstances to avoid the stressful and unpleasant experience of the threat of becoming homeless.

At risk of becoming homeless?

If you feel you are under the threat of becoming homeless and are struggling to secure alternative accommodation you should go to the Housing Needs Duty Service at MyCouncil, Landmark Place:

  • Monday to Wednesday and Friday, 9am to 4pm, or
  • Thursday, 10am to 4pm.

The earlier you discuss your situation with us, the better chance we have to prevent you from becoming homeless.

A Housing Needs Officer, in the Housing Demand Team will consider the information and carry out any other enquiries. They will then offer you advice and assistance in an effort to resolve any issues, this can range from:

We cannot provide help for some people, for example those who have no right to live in the UK.

If you are eligible for assistance, the Housing Needs Officer will apply the homelessness legislation to your specific case. The assessing Housing Needs Officer will conclude whether it agrees that you are homeless or about to become homeless and whether you are in a priority group.

Help if you are homeless

We can only assist those we have assessed as being in the greatest need:

  • you are homeless or are about to become homeless
  • you are in a priority group
  • you did not become homeless intentionally
  • you have a local connection

Housing register

Please note: being homeless does not give you the right to a permanent council tenancy. It is likely we will assist you in securing alternative privately rented accommodation. Applying as homeless does not give you automatic access to a permanent council home/social housing - you will have to qualify in accordance with Slough Borough Council’s Allocations policy. The housing register applications are assessed and managed by the Allocation and Lettings team. All offers of council accommodation and nominations to housing associations are made through the council's housing register.

The how to apply page gives more details about how the housing register works and how to make an application.

Contact us

Contact Housing Services

01753 475111

Housing Services
St Martins Place
51 Bath Road
Slough, SL1 3UF